A Dimension 11 Publication. Please Visit our Website: www.dimension11.com
COVID has caused us all to explore where our careers are taking us… maybe you are in the job you love, maybe you’ve realized this job or this field is not the one for you. Regardless, when the pandemic is winding down, as we hope it will soon, it’s time to begin to look forward.
Being unable to care for your family, pay your bills, the rent or mortgage – that is one of the hardest things to happen to anyone. You’ve probably looked, and looked and looked with no success. Read on for some suggestions that might help you in being able to meet the demands placed on you.
Gone are the days when you could create one resume to apply for numerous jobs – every employer today wants a resume designed just for them and their needs. So regardless of who you are looking to become employed with – a new company or a promotion within, do make sure your resume is up-to-date and tailored for every job you apply for.
If you lost your job and are looking for a new one, here are a few things to consider:
- Decide the 10 companies where you want to work – use the internet and look for the companies that appeal to you
- Check them out with Glassdoor and people you know to ensure these are places where you want to work
- Use your network to connect with someone inside these companies – it is always best to have someone recommend you for a position
- Have a resume that shows off what you do to help the companies you have worked for add to their bottom line
- Remember, even one typo can get your resume dismissed
Job hunting is a job – if you spend 8 hours a day working on getting the next job it will come quicker. It is not an easy task, this job hunting, however, it is one that requires a strategy and a system.
Looking for a Promotion?
If you are in a job now and you are looking to be promoted within your company there are a few things that might help:
- Offer to take on additional tasks
- Volunteer to sit on committees
- When you are in meetings speak up early and ask questions
- Do your job to the very best of your ability
- If positions are available that you would like, ask
Promotions from within mean your employer has a well-known entity in you with your skills and abilities. When you’ve proven yourself by making yourself known as someone to be trusted with new opportunities you are on the way to the next position.
Use these ideas like Muhammad did – first to get the job he wanted and then to get the promotions he was after. Looking after his family made him want to succeed in his search and you can too!
The sun is out, the weather is warming and our spirits are rising! Although we are all still coping with COVID as best we can, there are still concerns. We are isolated, wearing masks so we can’t see people’s smiles, and confused about when we will see life as normal as possible. Each day is one to cherish – now more than ever, we realize that we never know what tomorrow will bring.
What are you doing to keep yourself moving forward? If you need someone to talk to during these trying times just connect. You can set up an appointment by connecting here – https://calendly.com/sherry-9/one-on-one-meeting. Perhaps, together we can find a better way.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
”Opportunities don’t happen, you create them.”
― Chris Grosser